Wednesday, June 10, 2015

And Then Nothing was the Same....

This past weekend was bittersweet. 

I said my final farewells to my grandmother at a lively celebration of her life in Louisiana. Although I had written her obituary, (and helped my sister, mom & aunt create the program) I wasn't able to reread it until the actual service. Seeing the words printed out made things too official for me. 

Sunrise. 

Sunset. 

I kept wanting to pretend like the weekend before was merely a dream, but Saturday in all its finality made things very real. Everything that happened was real, and she was gone. 

Surprisingly I didn't cry during the service. I was genuinely happy for her to be at rest. She was 84. Literally one day shy of making 85. She lived a long life and made an exit in grand fashion. Peacefully, and beautifully. Almost poetic in a sense. She was a woman loved by many, cared for by many and looked up to by many. It hurts to no longer have her here with us, but one thing she did leave behind was her legacy. 

Before we left Louisiana to head back to Texas, I took some pictures of her home for the last time. It's not that I feel as if I will never see it again, I just felt the overwhelming feeling of a shift in time. Things would no longer be the same. It brought me peace to capture that moment in time, with things just as she had left them. Her rabbits playing leisurely outside, her flowers in full bloom and the peaceful serenity surrounding me. 






She loved beautiful things, making things grow & flourish and nature. There were so many things that made her and being in her presence special. So many things about her that are me. 

I'm privileged to have known and loved her. I just hate the fact that things will never be the same....



2 comments:

  1. I am deeply sorry for your loss. Your grandmother truly sounds like she was an amazing woman.

    ReplyDelete