Last Sunday my girlfriend and I traveled back in time to a land far far away..... A land where kings & queens, dragons & knights triumphantly reign...& mythological creatures and faeries sprinkle magic and mystery all over the kingdom.
Yeah, we went to the Renaissance Festival.
It was literally twenty years ago the first time I went to this festival, and I had been wanting to go back for years! My friend randomly texted me saying that her law firm was able to get her a few free tickets and I of course was super excited about being her guest. The festival is held about an hour and a half outside of Houston in a little tiny hick town past Magnolia, Texas. It was nothing but grass, trees, dirt and a lone confederate flag blowing in the wind as we headed over to the festival grounds. I had joked with her that there was nothing but deers and the Klan in that area of the world, but I don't think she believed me until she and her brother saw that flag flying.... But I digress, that's not an era we were planning to visit that day. So moving along.....
Once we finally made it I was happy to see that the festival was just as I remembered it from 1994... Costumes, food, tons of things to see. Instant feelings of being overwhelmed. Yep, nothing had changed.
All three of us were like kids in a candy store. So much to see, so much to do.... We wandered around and were pretty much in awe from the moment we got out the car, to the time we single handedly killed a bottle of mead wine, to watching the sunset over the kingdom, to devouring delicious cuisine and just taking it all in....
It was so much that I don't even want to leave you underwhelmed with words, so I'll just leave you with photos from our adventure....
Things get a little scary in the kingdom once night falls, so after we finished our bottle and seeing the remaining sights we had missed out on we headed on back to Houston. Traffic was a nightmare leaving the festival, but other than that it was definitely a great time. I think we all decided that we would have to make the Renaissance Festival an annual affair!
PS... My friend Noelle just started her travel blog not too long ago and would love for everyone to check out some of her adventures! Her rendition of our time travel back to the Renaissance era is here. :)
This looks like a fun time...and you looked very much the part..love the dress and head piece!
ReplyDeleteThanks! I felt so underdressed with all the people who went so far out with their costumes! Such a good time!
Deleteit does look like fun!!! Like, something different to do. We don't have anything that I know of that's like that around here.
ReplyDeleteIt was definitely different and for the open-minded it but we had an amazing time!
DeleteWe have something similar here but it is the summer and I've never been. Looks like y'all had a ball in that hick town!!!
ReplyDeleteReally cool. What? No Turkey leg? I have only been a couple of times (a few years back) and both times, I got a turkey leg. Gluttony though cause I couldn't even finish half of it let alone the whole thing :-).
ReplyDeleteGirlllllllll those turkey legs were almost as big as my head. My friend and her brother both got one and they were all wide-eyed trying to finish those things, but they were DELICIOUS!!!!!!!
DeleteThis looks like such a blast! I WANT TO GO! So funny that you were able to see that nothing changed!
ReplyDeleteAnd you look incredible! I basically want to go through the computer and steal your entire outfit.
Lol it was so much fun and I swear I'm going all out costume wise next year! Soooo fun!
DeleteYour head piece is everything! It sounds like you had a fabulous time.
ReplyDeleteThank you! It's actually a necklace I looped around my head lol
DeleteHow did I not see this?!?! And thanks for the shout-out! That was another awesome adventure....so weird and so cool lol.
ReplyDelete