Sunday, March 1, 2015

Mood.

I'm still trying to figure out how today is March 1st. I feel like I was just toasting to the new year, and getting ready for my trip to New York... yet here we are, already in the third month of the year. But I digress. 

I feel like although I had a busy weekend, it was pretty chill. I've been in a strange mood lately. Maybe it was the returning to reality after being in New Orleans, or the fact that it's still cold in Houston & I can't remember what the sun looks like...

It's hard to explain, but I just feel restless lately. I've had plenty of nights where I've stared at the wall well into the night unable to fall asleep, with my mind on so much. I don't necessarily have anything negative going on... I just feel restless, like there is more or something else I need to be doing. 

Last weekend, we went to a party at the Museum of Fine Arts Houston. I followed up with going to an event at Esperson Gallery and by that Sunday morning my spirit was yearning to do something creative.

When I was young, I spent the majority of my days either reading, writing, painting or conducting some sort of scientific experiments. Needless to say, I was (still kind of am) a nerd. It has been years since I created something of my own (outside of those Painting with a Twist birthday parties) so I figured it was time to do something about that. 

A friend and I took to Michael's and I bought paints, brushes, canvases and ink for calligraphy. I went home and just freestyled some abstract art. 


I'm so out of practice, but it just felt good to create something that didn't require too much thought or that wasn't for work. I honestly feel like the more we learn, the less we create. It's hard to find time to pursue your passions when you spend so many hours of the day working. 

Last week, I reviewed so many documents and looked at so many files that I literally cringed at the thought of reading for pleasure when I got home. Reading is something I truly love, so I  know something has to give. 

I love being an attorney, but I'll be damned if it strips me of all my creativity. -End rant. But seriously. Something has got to give, so I resolved to do something that taps into my creative side on the regular. 

My work week was pretty busy, as it has consistently been since last November but it went by fast so that's good. I spent this past Friday night having dinner with a close friend from high school & enjoying drinks and alittle people watching at a nearby lounge. 
Saturday, I went to the annual Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo Cook-Off, where I drank and ate entirely too much. Always a blast. 



I woke up ridiculously late this morning, and cleaned up until it was time for my spa date with my best friend. We went to Sensia Japanese Day Spa for hot stone massages and I've been plastered to my bed ever since I made it home from our post-massage gossip session. 

I literally have not moved for hours. I would be concerned if it didn't feel so good. But I figure I deserve it.... 

My March will be filled with a few fun outings hopefully, but for now I'm hoping my mood changes. And if it doesn't, I hope I can atleast make some sense of it and figure out exactly I'm supposed to be doing or learning from it. 

It's like the universe is calling out to me for some reason or another, I just haven't put my finger on the reason quite yet... but I'm doing my best to be receptive. 

I guess we shall see......

8 comments:

  1. "I just feel restless, like there is more or something else I need to be doing. " <-- I swear this must be an adult issues, because I feel this way entirely too often.

    I know what you mean about the more we work and learn the less we create. I find this to be true for myself as well. I think it's stems from sheer exhaustion.

    I love your your free-styled abstract art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy March! I know how it feels to be restless, but it sounds like you are doing things to feed your creative spirit. I love you abstract art. That actually looks like something I would pay for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe it's March either and I'm feeling restless too but I think mine has much to do with being cooped up all winter. I feel like Winter plays a big role in it as a few other things.

    And the art you created is gorgeous! I remember when I was younger and will just paint up a storm. You just made me realize how much I miss doing that.

    I think with the warmer weather on the way you won't have a choice but to perk up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm soooo over this winter! I'm ready for spring but it just makes me sad because our spring is so quick then it's hellishly hot :-(

      Delete
  4. Happy March!! You are uber talented lady!

    ReplyDelete