The seasons have changed, both literally and figuratively. Mindsets, mentality, habits, thoughts, even where I rest my head at... These last couple of weeks have been filled with changes. And with change comes that shift, uncomfortable, anxious feelings that leave you with no choice but to switch up your routine and make some adjustments.
My best friend told me the other day that being uncomfortable was important for growth. Change is supposed to be scary. Without that fear you won't be motivated to move out of your comfort zone. If you weren't uncomfortable, you would never adjust your behavior to make the situation feel better for you. Sometimes change is on purpose, other times the changes happen and the circumstances are outside of your control, but still you must make adjustments in order to continue to move forward.
I must admit, I'm easily consumed by my worries. It's my Achilles heel. Change. I hate it. I'm a stickler for rules, plans, regularity. Even with the mishaps of our trip, I had to learn to go with the flow without literally loosing it. My hardest battle has been to not let changes completely ruin my mindset. I complain, I cry, I become that woe is me individual when things don't work out according to my plan, but one thing that I have noticed in all of that is that my feelings don't really matter. Life is going to happen regardless of if it asks my permission or not. Which method is more productive, letting domething completely destroy me, or making adjustments that ease my level of comfort?
Of course I know this is easier said than done. And change, my God, changes can sometimes hurt to the core.... But it's inevitable that we have to make the adjustments and continue the best way we know how. Thoughts are powerful. It's hard to train your mind to not become completely consumed with fear, doubt, loneliness or anxiety, but things won't get better until you make the necessary adjustments.
This Fall, I said I wanted to be like the trees and shed everything that no longer served a purpose for me mentally or spiritually. It's going to be hard. I have no doubt about that, but I refuse to stay stuck in the same place forever. I must continue to grow. It is imperative that I continue to challenge myself, so new things, embrace change.
I am determined to work on the adjustments. Life is a constant state of adjusting.

"Change. I hate it. I'm a stickler for rules, plans, regularity" <--- I could have written that.
ReplyDeleteYou truly have a way with words and expressing yourself. I find myself connecting a lot with what you write because I'm feeling the same way. So thank you for writing this.
There must be something in this Fall air because I have had these exact thoughts recently. And some changes are going to hurt me to make, but I realize they are very necessary for my growth and development. I think I've always been good at adjusting because I always expect that things may or may not change. That is MY constant. And I'd be lying if I say i saw all of it coming or that it hurt or was any less disappointing when I saw what was coming. But I truly believe that everything happens for a reason. Everything that happens is preparing you for something. That discomfort you feel, the anxiousness, the fear .. that's preparing you for something you may have asked for or something you may need to better your life and it's quality. Be as prepared as you can be. Pray. Repeat.
ReplyDeleteIf I know anything, I know you'll get through this. And one day you're going to look back and be truly astounded by your strength and resilence. (:
There must be something in this Fall air because I have had these exact thoughts recently. And some changes are going to hurt me to make, but I realize they are very necessary for my growth and development. I think I've always been good at adjusting because I always expect that things may or may not change. That is MY constant. And I'd be lying if I say i saw all of it coming or that it hurt or was any less disappointing when I saw what was coming. But I truly believe that everything happens for a reason. Everything that happens is preparing you for something. That discomfort you feel, the anxiousness, the fear .. that's preparing you for something you may have asked for or something you may need to better your life and it's quality. Be as prepared as you can be. Pray. Repeat.
ReplyDeleteIf I know anything, I know you'll get through this. And one day you're going to look back and be truly astounded by your strength and resilence. (:
Change is extremely scary for me too! But without change there can be no growth right? Or something like that. Love the color in your hair.
ReplyDelete