Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Afropunk


Last summer, I enviously watched post after post of greatness on Instagram of a festival I had never heard of in Brooklyn, New York. From the fashion, to the music, to the general lack of conformity and black excellence, I knew I had to be in attendance the following year. So fast forward to August 26, 2016. 

My friend and I bought tickets way back in March. We teeter-tottered with the idea of going so often, that we literally didn't buy our plane tickets until mid-August. The way 2016 has been set up we just didn't know if we should pay to go to New York, or what if anything at all could happen with us randomly heading to a festival, but thankfully everything worked out in our favor. 

Let me tell you this.... I. Love. Brooklyn. I literally love everything about it and when I tell you I got my entire life on this trip.... Words can barely describe the fun, the freedom, the energy and good vibes. This was probably the most fun I've had in a long time. The right people went and everything just flowed well. 

Background on Afropunk: Literally the Land of No Fucks Given. No judgment, plenty of self expression and absolutely no hate. My black hippie, nerd girl self felt as if I had stepped foot on Mecca. Definitely not the destination for the more bourgeois or conservative friend... 

But I digress. 

We frolicked in Manhattan a bit, but mainly spent the majority of our time in Brooklyn. Outside of my must have detour to the New York Public Library, this was a very go with the flow weekend. I even ended up randomly getting an eye exam and buying new glasses in Williamsburg. 

I truly enjoyed Afropunk and I think this may be my new annual event that I attend. (Sorry Zula Ball in New Orleans)








4 comments: