Monday, October 6, 2014

Adventures in Homecoming......



About 14 years ago, I embarked on a journey that would change the course of my life forever. The year was 2000, and I was an incoming freshman at THE Southern University and A&M College, in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. When my family dropped me off, I must admit I was scared out of my mind. The accents, the clothing, the swagger...although Houston is a mere 4 hours away, it was as if I had been transported to another country. Everything was so different, yet exciting.



During the course of my 4.5 odd years in college (I took a semester off to intern full-time at the Louisiana State Capitol) I learned so much about myself. I made friends, and enemies. I fell in love, and got my heartbroken. I had adventures. I made memories.

My time in college, was EVERYTHING.


Aside from frequenting the club, EVERY SINGLE NIGHT... No, literally every single night. Like...seriously... I was out there. Digressing.....Now. I managed to remain active on-campus, write for our college newspaper, test my luck at becoming a campus queen & still managed to graduate with the highest GPA in my department that Fall 2004.



Fall 2004....as in exactly a decade ago.

Fast forward 10 years: Not only was this past weekend my alma mater's centennial Homecoming, this year marked a decade of my being an alumnus of Southern!

I wasn't certain I was going to be able to make it, but at the last minute one of my besties said she would ask her cousin if we could stay with her (since it was too late to get a hotel in town) and we were on our way. From the time we started our journey, we could already tell that this trip was going to be one for the record books & we were so so right!


Before I left town, I did a little DIY project so I would have an outfit to wear on "The Yard" for game day! I think it turned out cute & I am Sooooo "Seaux" Southern....


But now I'm getting ahead of myself, so moving along......

So after hours of non-stop laughter & nostalgia... We finally got ready to head out for the night...


And oh, what a night we had. It was great seeing old faces & feeling old feelings....

I missed being around my Southernites.... We literally shut the club down just like old times... It felt good to be home.

And then...... my phone drowned in a glass of Ciroc. No joke, although in retrospect it definitely makes for a hilarious story. So at about 3 am, we were scrambling trying to find rice to soak my phone in.
Pure comedy... I wanted to cry, but I kept myself together.

The comedy continued well into the morning, and to make a long story short..... I was phoneless the remainder of the weekend.

Looking back, I am almost kind of happy I was able to fully experience Homecoming without the distractions. I was able to take it all in, and really reflect on the moment and all the memories..

We spent the day being random. I got my boudin ball fix at Tony's seafood, and tailgated on-campus.... We stayed on the Yard for a very long time, just people watching & catching up with old friends..

That night continued with more laughter, more inside jokes, more adventures and definitely more memories......

I really could not have wished for a better time.

I even got to meet one of my blog friends in real life! I ran into the oh so fabulous Carla out one night! And she was dressed to kill! :)

Although my trip was short, it was truly action packed. I'm happy that I got to make even more memories of my beloved alma mater...

Homecoming was definitely an adventure.....


7 comments:

  1. OK, we started college at the same time! Seriously, I could have wrote this post!!! LOL!! You look amazing! Glad you decided to go and that you had the best time!

    As for your phone...haha. At least it got tipsy in Ciroc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, girl I was so sick when my phone drowned! But OMG those were like the best times EVER! I had so much fun being on my old stomping grounds. Such a great time!

      Delete
  2. Lol I just started school. I mean literally like I just started kindergarten, but it's crazy how fast time flies by. Loved the outfit that came out of your DIY. justaise.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, live it up and enjoy it to the fullest. College was literally one of the most memorable times of my life & you're right the time goes by fast. Make sure you seize every opportunity you can and just soak it all in. These will be the memories your girlfriends and you will laugh hysterically about ten years from now. And best believe the stories are even funnier now than they will seem then ;)

      Delete
  3. Yay! I'm glad you had fun...you've been looking forward to this for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have to give me a pass because I'm JUST now going through my reader and catching up on all my subscriptions. It was so good to finally MEET you in person. You looked amazing and Homecoming 2014 was sooooo bomb. (That party at the renaissance was soooo wack tho! LOL!)

    ReplyDelete