Monday, January 2, 2017

2017


Congratulations are in order! If you're reading this, that means you successfully made it to the other side. You made it through. There is still a reason and purpose for your existence. You are here. Still. That simple fact is celebration worthy. This past year, 2016, was a lot. But we all made it to 2017, so that gives me an inkling of hope that better days are on the horizon. I'm embracing the newness, and excited for what's to come.

2016, is the past. Albeit, it was just two days ago, it is over! I learned some valuable lessons about love and not accepting less than I deserve, I perfected the art of walking away from not so pristine situations, and I had a lot of fun in the midst of the teaching moments. I'm starting fresh this year. No more do-overs, or break in case of emergency moments if I can help it this year. I'm focused on the new and welcoming hopefully the right one(s) into my life.

I traveled to places I had never been, and made some return trips to my favorite city. 2016 led me to New Orleans for Mardi Gras/Zulu Ball, to Puerto Rico, back to New Orleans, to St Petersburg, Florida for an amazing bachelorette 'Kaftans and Turbans' themed weekend, then New York for the Afro Punk Festival, a Labor Day extended vacation to San Jose & Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica, and finally a trip to Phoenix and Sedona, Arizona to celebrate my birthday. I've embraced the work hard, play hard mentality over the years and not only enjoy the reprieve from the day to day, but all of these trips not only gave me clarity, but insight on the things and people who are most important to me, opened my eyes to who really has my best interest at heart, and gave me the opportunity to experience a bucket list moment that I will never forget. I also learned that I'm not cut out for too many more group trips.... I enjoyed making memories with my friends, but I truly just prefer being alone or with someone else while traveling. Less opinions, more liberty to explore at your own pace, fewer moods/attitudes to deal with. I have one trip planned for 2017 thus far. A trip to the DC/Baltimore area, then onward to Iceland, and after that my schedule is wide open for any opportunity that presents itself to me during the year. I enjoy simplicity, free flowing, stress less, free spirited travel. But with that I also enjoy order, an inkling of an agenda, and easy to navigate plans. This year my goal is to travel at my own pace....

There was so much loss in 2016, with almost every day bringing news of someone leaving this world. After 2015, my heart was so empty that I am glad 2016 spared me the pain of another loss in my family. But still, there was pain and hurt experienced that I could not avoid. We were all collectively effected by the happenings in the world. I just pray that we come into 2017 stronger, wiser and more prepared to face whatever comes our way. I know that God is in control. I believe that everything happens for a reason. I just pray that my heart is ready to bear whatever is thrown my way this year. On that accord, all I can do is pray. Strength, empathy, understanding.

I gave up resolutions, and have opted for intentions or goals to mark each new year. This year I have created a theme for my 2017.

----Refine & Elevate----

: to free from impurities or unwanted material

: to free from moral imperfection : elevate

: to improve or perfect by pruning or polishing

: to reduce in vigor or intensity

: to free from what is coarse, vulgar, or uncouth

: the act of elevation

I want to be better. New year, same me. Just better. There are things I have been putting off for years, partly out of fear, partially out of laziness. I am my biggest barrier. I want to rise above that in the new year. I know what I need to do, I just need to shift my focus on action and not be so caught up in routine. I'm focused on refinery of self. I want to refine and elevate to a higher version of myself. I like me, I just want to be better. Much better.

2017. You will be good to me. You will be good to us all. After the last 365 days, the world deserves better. I deserve better.

This year will be better.

It will be good.



4 comments:

  1. I love how much you traveled this year! And Iceland!!! Such a dream!

    That's what I want too ... to be better!

    "2017. You will be good to me. You will be good to us all. After the last 365 days, the world deserves better. I deserve better" <---- Praying for this so much!

    Happy New Year! 2017 will be good :)

    P.S. Also want to thank you for the flawless way you write. You have a way of putting into words my exact thoughts and I truly wish you were just down the street! Thanks for being a soundboard and your encouragement throughout the years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we were closer as well! Things have to turn around for the better. They just HAVE to...

      Delete
  2. I'm glad that you have such a positive outlook and I think that's a great way to enter a new year.

    I had to realize that I was my own barrier too. Once I came to that realization, things began to go more smoothly. Things will never be perfect but at least they're not terrible.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's to a new year. And may you accomplish everything that you want to accomplish plus more. Procrastination is something that we are all victims of in some form or another. It's a constant struggle. So this is the year to definitely push past the laziness and the procrastination to make things happen.. this year and all those to come!

    Happy New Year to ya girlie!

    ReplyDelete