Saturday, February 22, 2014

Words.


Inspiration comes in so many forms. It can be in a casual conversation with a friend, or even the words of a stranger. Sometimes it only takes a few syllables to convey a powerful message. It can be so simple, or even just a few letters written out that can give your situation so much more meaning. Words are very powerful. I think that may be one of the reasons I enjoy reading so much.

Today was a Books & Brunch day... Our book club met up to discuss our February read, The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. I wasn't quite sure what to expect with this book, especially since it is technically considered a young adult novel. Fortunately, I was pleasantly surprised. It's definitely an easy read, and there were moments where I had to put the book down to prevent tears from falling from my eyes..but overall a good star crossed love story. I enjoyed Shakespeare's Romeo & Juliet when I was in high school, and this book gave me the same feeling I got from reading that all those years ago. Life. It's just, life.

After we discussed our read, a friend of mine who just wrote his first book stopped by our meeting to discuss what he has going on in his world. He wrote a children's book detailing his WALK (as in literally walking) from Texas to California. It took him 4 months to walk all those miles in hopes of raising awareness for homelessness. He wants to inspire children to be aware of issues around them, and give them hope that they can actually do something to change the world. His words were very inspiring, and thought provoking.... The meeting has been over for hours, and I'm still thinking of what exactly I can do to play a part in something so much greater than myself.

I've been reflecting a lot lately. This month has been a lot, but I feel like slowly but surely I am getting back to feeling like myself. Slowing down is essential. I can't always keep looking towards the future and failing to appreciate the moment, the present. Life should be enjoyed, but not at fast pace. I'd rather savor the moments...even if they come at their own pace. My pace. Words are very powerful, and I need to pay attention to the ones I keep telling myself.

4 comments:

  1. Words ARE so powerful. That's why I love reading them and writing them. When I write things seem so clear but applying them and taking heed is often even harder then writing out the words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to read that you're getting back to feeling like yourself. I'm still struggling to get there but I'm embracing all the changes and really trying to go with the flow. I have never really been a go with the flow type of person so it is hard.

    And I'm so with you and words and not just the words you read in a book. My mom and dad use to always tell us to be careful with the words we choose to spit out into the "universe". You speak negative you get negative, you speak positive you get positive. Sometimes it is so much easier said than done.

    P.S. Your friend sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. agreed, glad you have been reflecting and feeling better about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a pretty cool thing your friend did. It's inspiring. Honestly, I felt the same way about my life for a long time. Once I started writing about God and trying to help others that way my life started opening up in ways that I could show God to others, it has been very fulfilling. Once you find that thing that makes life more than a routine, it really makes everything better :)

    ReplyDelete