I told my friend the other night that I feel like all I do is work, read, watch Law & Order & go to happy hour. She said that sounded like perfection, minus the whole being single part. Parts of me agree with that, but then there is always that underlying feeling of loneliness. Idle time usually sends my mind racing into the unknown. My biggest fears reside in the unknown. The wondering, the second-guessing, it all lives in those moments of quiet solitude. I guess staying busy is my coping mechanism. But I'm tired. I don't think I can continue running myself ragged simply because I don't want to feel the loneliness. I promised myself I would continue to keep a positive outlook on life, but does that mean that I'm not allowed to have moments of vulnerability? I can try to fill my time with busy... I can keep going, and going & going, but eventually won't I crash? I find myself feeling guilty for wanting more. Why can't I just be content, with contentment? Maybe the grass just looks greener on the other side, or maybe I'm just feeling extra emotional tonight... I'm not really sure, I just hope this moment passes as quickly as it came upon me. Until then, I'll remain busy...
And with that being said, busy...the definition of these last few days of my life.
Last Thursday, my book club had a meeting wherein we discussed The Husband's Secret, by Liane Moriarty. The book started out slow, and there were quite a few characters to keep up with. Once the story picked up a bit, it all began to make sense how all the characters lives were woven together & it was revealed just how big of a secret that husband was keeping. It was a great read, and led to a lot of discussion by the group as to whether it should be made into a movie or not. We chose The Fault in Our Stars by John Green for our February read....
After the meeting was over, we made a detour for The Chocolate Bar. Not really sure why, but after the frozen maitai's I guess it just felt like a good idea. We bought chocolate, and marveled over all of the novelty chocolate items inside...
For some reason I cannot remember Friday....And I didn't take any pictures to evidence it ever existing, but I'm sure it did.
I woke up late Saturday, and spent the daytime hours celebrating my sister's birthday and the evening hours catching up with my friend who had just made it into town. He was tired from driving, and I was just tired from all the busy so there was more sleeping than catching up.
The weather was terrible Sunday. It was super cold & rainy. My friend and I ran around for a few hours, before I met up with my girlfriends for dinner/Super Bowl half-time show watching... The food was amazing, the game not-so-much.
We spent the majority of our time eating, listening to music, trying to remember the choreography to the Bunny Hop & just laughing. I was falling asleep on the floor before 10, so I knew it was time for me to officially head home to retire for the evening. I feel like I was asleep before my head hit my pillow...
The majority of my day today was spent working, over-analyzing & over-thinking... oh, and creating the mood that I've been in since I left my office & currently still reside in. Maybe blame it on the rain, or maybe I should cue up my favorite episode of Saved By the Bell and just ravish in my Jessi Spano moment...please reference YouTube if you don't remember that episode, "I'm so excited, I'm so excited, I'm so excited" or maybe I've just been too busy....
Later on you will realize it was those lonely moments that defined you. I used to live alone and at times I would purposely spend the night at my besties house or stay out partying so that I wouldn't have to be "alone." At some point I learned to embrace it and when I got married and had kids I looked back on those times and realized they were the times that made me who I am today. We need the time to just be. So sit yo ass down somewhere in solitude with your thoughts and just be. Hopefully I'll be around and get to say I told you so when your time comes!!
ReplyDeleteLol!!!!! Sounds like good advice!!! And I look forward to that I TOLD YOU SO conversation ;)
DeleteKMSL!!! I couldn't agree with Mimi more than I do - Sit yo ass down somewhere. I've been there Fal. I know exactly how you feel. I used being busy to help with a few unfortunate situations and it helped at first until I was completely alone and forced to face the facts. And then it all came out - I was angry and furious. I wondered and rationalized. I screamed and I cried. And then, it was all over and I realized that everything was going to be ok.
DeleteThe day is going to come where being busy won't work and you'll have to express your anger, hurt, or whatever you feel. Prepare yourself for it and then bask in the happiness and contentment that awaits. (:
Hey!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by... I was super excited when I saw your comment. It seems we've both been living pretty busy lives... but I will say I envy your busy over mine... Don't get me wrong, I love being a wife and mom... but I swear I can't even take a phone call or yet alone a poop (graphic I know, lol) without someone needing something... it's to the point where I have to sneak off to the garage and hide out in the car just to chat with my bestie in peace. I'm probably the only women on earth who hasn't watched Beyonce's visual albulm, but do to how graphic it is, i can't watch around the kiddos, and my daughter is always looking at whatever I'm looking at when I'm on my iPad... SOOOO, I say this to say, GIRL YOU BETTA ENJOY IT WHILE YOU CAN CAUSE YOUR KIND OF BUSY WON'T LAST FOREVER.
Hugs and Blessings Friend
Thanks so much for sharing this! I guess I get so caught up that I lose sight of all the things I do have while longing for what I don't. I will definitely chill lol :)
DeleteIt's amazing that when you're not busy all you do is spend time thinking and wondering about the future, etc. I think that no matter what stage you are in life you're going to always wonder about life and feel that the grass is greener on the other side. Human nature.
ReplyDeleteAnd now I'm seriously craving chocolate. Wish I had some at home right now.
I didnt realize how strong the smell of chocolate was until I walked inside. It was intoxicating. Life is so odd at times but I guess thats what makes it so precious!
DeleteOh man! I wish I could go back to the moments of loneliness. It's so funny because I definitely have felt the way you felt. It's weird because I never could have imagined my future being the way it currently is, so honestly all that thinking or analyzing just passed the time but wasn't ever a crystal ball. Lol! My daughter is now 1 month old and in this first month, I have realized how much I didn't realize what I would be trading in for motherhood. It's exciting to run to target alone! Or take a shower that's the best! I long for alone moments when I have time to focus on me and my thoughts unfortunately those times are few and far between! So enjoy it while you can, seriously. It's an event when I get to go the grocery store now because I have to make sure she's fed, happy, and will be okay for an hour without me!
ReplyDeleteIt seems as if everyone agrees that I should enjoy the downtime, and I definitely think I need to enjoy this time too. It's so hard though lol. Im really trying though, sigh ......
Delete