This was an extremely long weekend for me. In addition the 4th of July Friday off from work, I decided to extend my vacation and take a much needed mental health day today.
No, I'm not crazy...well, not on most days... but I really just needed a day to myself to take care of myself. Granted I definitely do my part of taking care of myself, but most weekends I usually can't get everything I need to do, done. Some errands are handled M-F, on a 9-5 basis, which doesn't work well for me since I'm not usually leaving my office until 6 or sometimes after. And when I'm leaving work, I'm usually struggling to make it through traffic to my side of town to get a lot of my business handled. But I digress.
Since I transitioned to my new firm, it's been non-stop work. The last vacation I had was in December, which was months ago now. (And I didn't go anywhere...) I also didn't take any time off whatsoever when I changed jobs, so needless to say I needed a break.
My July 4th was super low key. I usually don't get all celebratory for the holiday since, let's face it, my ancestors were not popping fireworks and enjoying freedom back in 1776..but that's an entirely different story for another day. I spent my day sleeping, reading & relaxing. Then later that night I rolled over to meet one of my besties for dinner & swung by another friends apartment for a few shots, I mean minutes, ha... then headed home.
For some reason I don't remember Saturday, but I feel like my attitude was trash. I didn't leave the bed and don't remember talking to another living soul all day. Oh, and it rained.
By the time Sunday rolled around, I was feeling like a normal human being again. After a nice chat with my mother, I didn't feel so bahumbug about life anymore. A friend and I headed out for a little Sunday Funday: translation, cheap bellini's and carafes of hibiscus mimosas + hookah & girl talk on the patio of an undisclosed location. Surprisingly, the heat was bearable so we were able to enjoy some time outside. She was even gracious enough to snap a few photos for me on the patio. I posted a few on Instagram, if anyone is interested... I didn't like how they showed up since I used my iPhone, so I'll spare the blog the bad photography.
It was my first time at this spot, but I will definitely be back. It was definitely the right vibe for some good old chill and unwind times.
I don't know why I overthink. Or get myself into feelings of discontent. I discredit all that I have done and all that I have accomplished so often that it's sickening. I just told myself last weekend that I needed to focus on the positive, and just like that I spent a large majority of the weekend with a case of the what-if's and why-not-me's. It's so easy to fall into a pattern of comparison & second guessing, but it is my goal to work on looking past those feelings. I get that it's human nature, but I think a part of maturing and growing in my journey is to learn how to be happy with the life I have and focus on making it the life I want. I waste entirely too much energy thinking about what I don't have or why certain things are taking too long to come into fruition..... I take so much for granted.
I'm a work in progress, but a part of that work is to be grateful. Another part is to not compare my life and my journey to anyone else's path. I need to focus on my peace, and my growth and my forwardness & eventually everything will fall into place. Next time I feel those feelings creeping in, I will log off the social networks and put all my attention on my self worth. Everything is fine. Everything will happen right when it is supposed to. The best is yet to come. I'm grateful for everything I've been through, and for everything I've been kept from. This is my life. I am grateful for it.
And if all else fails, I can always go shopping. Or take a long long nap.
And if all of that doesn't help, I take a mental health day so I can reflect & put things into perspective.
And that typically works.....

I am glad you had a great weekend! One great thing the apostle paul said in Philippians 4:11-13 was that he had learned how to be content and satisfied to the point where he was not disturbed by whatever state he was in. In other words, he never allowed himself to get upset with where he was at the moment, because he was always looking forward to where he could be. He rejoiced while in prison! Because he trusted in God. You are in God's glorious hands- and he will make good come unto your life because he cares for you. Sometimes, we just have to bring our discontents to god, tell him our desires and trust that he will work it out for us. I used to look at where other people were all the time. It wasn't until I grew content where I was that I started to see God's many blessings in my life and the great things that were coming. You are wonderfully made and wonderfully blessed! We just have to remember God does not always come on our time, but He is ALWAYS on time. Things will come to fruition for you- just trust and have faith! :) :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing these words of wisdom. I really need to shift my focus and look towards the good in now and stay faithful that better is on it's way. Thank you so much for sharing.
DeleteI truly believe that because you are aware that you feel discontent and bahumbug about life that you are already half way there. When things aren't going the way we want it is human nature to feel some type of way. I often have to remind myself that I am where I am because that is exactly where God wants me and if he wants me there it has to be for a purpose. That often gives me peace and quiets the thoughts. Because right now you are where you are and you have no idea where you'll be in a year. SO in every moment, no matter what place you are in life, giving thanks is the only thing that brings true content. You will get there because you have the highest power rooting for you everyday.
ReplyDeleteYoure right. Thanks hun.
DeleteGiiiiiirl you know you're a bawse. We definitely feel some self doubt but we've come so far. You're an inspiration to me and many others. *muah*
ReplyDeleteThanks boosky!
DeleteIt's awesome to take a day just for ourselves...we all need them...some days more than others! The ladies said it all...God is in everything that we are experiencing....remain faithful!!
ReplyDeleteyes indeed :)
Deleteyou are preaching! I take mental health days often and I think we could all benefit from it. gotta take care of yourself first!
ReplyDeleteyes! definitely a necessity!
DeleteYes I agree with you girl!! It's a must when times drive us crazy!!
ReplyDeleteAmi || NaiveCookCooks.com
definitely!
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteIts not easy to silence those negative nagging thoughts. We just need to grow deeper in our relationship with God and amizing transformations will take place in our spirits, we'll experience more joy, peace and contentment.
ReplyDeleteAmen!
DeleteI need to have a mental health day once a week. I belive your thoughts are perfectly normal. Everybody who had dreams have these thoughts. .. well. . Even the ones who have nightmares too. Keep striving. You are an inspiration.
ReplyDeleteMental health days I come to find are 100% essential!
Delete