Because in all honesty, fuck sorry not sorry 2015.....
Although a lot of monumental things occurred last year, like a lot of travel (New York, Austin, New Orleans, Chicago, Abu Dhabi, New Delhi, Agra, Dubai, Baton Rouge) a lot of changes & transitions (moved into my new place, lost my grandmother, dealt with the on-going after math of having a parent with a degenerative disease) and a lot of prove your strength moments, and so on and so forth.... this year was almost too much.
When the clock struck midnight, I literally had to take a moment and step outside because tears were streaming down my face. This was definitely my first time ever crying with not only relief but realization that I had made it through the year. I feel like every hard year is met with disbelief and recognition that you made it through once the new year rolls around, but at some point something has got to give right? With that being said, I have decided to skip the recap and just focus solely on what lies ahead. I would be lying if I said it were easy to just look beyond everything that occurred last year, but what I do want to focus on is taking everything that did happen last year and using it as a testament and attribute to everything I will accomplish & live through gracefully this new year.
As it stands, we are five days in to the new year and I can wholeheartedly say that I do not have any resolutions.... I actually kind of prefer the term "intentions" over resolutions.
Of my various intentions, I plan to focus on creativity, love, compassion, freedom & planning......
Being an attorney, legit monopolizes one side of my brain, while holding the other side hostage. I want to write. I want to create. I want to be surrounded by beautiful words, and people, characters & energy. It is my intention to do just that this year. Every event, moment, opportunity, space & avenue available I want to take advantage of. I welcome all creative (caveat: must be positive) souls & energies I come into contact with as long as their purpose is to inspire me to do my work.....
Love. I said it in my last post. Still feel the exact same way about it. I am open, and finally ready to welcome it into my life.
I started out as a legal aid attorney. I miss pro bono work. I miss volunteerism. I miss helping. It is my intent to become more involved in my passion. I lost sight of it along the way, but my heart yearns to get back to my roots. This year I need to get more active in the community & doing things that benefit not only myself....
Freedom & planning. Sounds contradictory, but to me they make perfect sense. I'm happy when I have things to do. I have the freedom and ability to do whatever it is I want to do.... I must plan on doing something. This year, I retreated so far into myself that I lost time & missed opportunities to experience so many things. I don't want life to pass me by. Although I love my peaceful in the house moments, there is so much more to life than that. I live in a major city, yet know hardly anything about what is going on in the city. I need to do better. While I have the freedom & autonomy to do things, I must also make an effort to make plans and actually do stuff. Once I have a child and other responsibilities, I won't have as much freedom as I do now. I need to utilize this time wisely so I will not be left with any regrets when I enter into the next stage of my existence.
2016 is going to be more purposeful than 2015.....
I have set my intentions & and am ready to truly live and enjoy my year.
And since my friends and I were cute on NYE, I'll go ahead and make a shameless plug and post a few pictures below:




I love the word intentions over resolutions too! On the 1st I actually sat sit for a little while and thought to myself, wow, you made it. There were many times that I thought 2015 was going to take any sense of peace and joy I once had. But I'm welcoming 2016 and I intend to do things a little bit differently than last year. It taught me that there is not much we can control but the things that I can I intend to take full advantage of. We're going to have a good 2016 because we choose to have it. Happy New Year. I know that you are going to tackle your intentions and I truly hope that 2016 is an amazing year for you. You deserve it so much.
ReplyDeleteI'm so happy that we made it. This one was definitely a year of changes, loss & transition but we are stronger for it. This year will definitely be better.
DeleteGlad your nightmare year is over and wishing you all the best with your intentions for the new year. Do you!!! And hopefully good things will come. : )
ReplyDeleteThanks hun!!!!!
Delete