Monday, November 25, 2013

Gratitude

Christmas is exactly one month from today, and I sincerely hope that people don't lose focus on Thanksgiving while visions of sugar plums dance in their heads.... 

I finally read The Alchemist, and I must say I was floored. A blogger friend recommended I read this book and I am so glad that I did. It is definitely a must read, and I recommend anyone who has ever questioned their path read it. (Thanks Carla!) 

Not that I've totally spent the last few days of my life reading (well, I kinda have) but I also read To Heaven and Back, by Mary C. Neal, MD. This book recounted the authors near death experience and trip to heaven, as well as followed her story as she discovered her various purposes in life. I believe in God and this book was definitely comforting to read. It reminded me a little of The Shack, which is one of my favorite books of all time, but from the perspective of someone who actually saw a glimpse of heaven. 

The weather in Houston has been terrible the past few days. Today it rained the entire day, and the temperature did not get above 45 all day. That is COLD for us. I can't complain. I love the cold weather, I love Fall and I love anything boot, scarf, or hot tea related. I put the books down momentarily this weekend to go to the mall, and do a bit of shopping. I wanted boots (either riding boots or granny-esque/military inspired) and sweaters. 
I succeeded in finding the boots, but for some reason I had no real luck with the sweaters. 

I have a confession. I'm obsessed with Orange is the New Black. I downloaded Netflix specifically to watch it. The curiosity got the best of me, and despite it's racy content.... I love it. Netflix is kind of awesome. How did I not know this beforehand? I guess blame the books as the reason why I don't watch much television, but this... glorious. I may even dabble in some Breaking Bad or dare I say it, Scandal. I just may be invited to the cool table after all! 

But really.....

Life is not as bad as I convince myself at times. I have been truly blessed. 

I'm on my chosen career path, making moves and prayerfully walking in the right direction towards my purpose. I have my family, my friends. I have clarity on who needs to be in my life, and who should not. I've experienced love, and I've experienced loss. There is so much living left to do, and I'm learning more and more each day to focus on the present and to enjoy the journey. 

One day it will all make sense, and for that I am truly grateful. 




6 comments:

  1. Haha glad that you know all about how great Netflix is! You'll be addicted! And yes, get into Breaking Bad and Scandal! You'll be glad you did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My girlfriend has convinced me to watch season one of Scandal. We shall see what happens lol ;)

      Delete
  2. I'm an avid book reader (my Nook stays in my purse) and I'm glad you shared the two books above. I've read The Shack as well. I rarely watch any TV shows. I'd rather read any day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the shack. Definitely read the alchemist. It's a def must read.

      Delete
  3. we do have to remind ourselves of the good in life and be grateful -- and I'm a huge scandal fan :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm finally going to watch the first season on netflix. So many people love it so I'm staying optimistic. Lol

      Delete