Sunday, November 3, 2013

Long Weekend - Part 1

My weekend began Wednesday after court.... I was in dire need of a break. So many things have been going on. I needed to rest and get my mind off of work and just everything in general. I was mentally and physically (and spiritually) exhausted. I needed time to think, plan and redirect my energy to something positive and not continue with the unhealthy cycle of self-doubt I had placed myself on. These days off gave me exactly what I needed. 

Thursday morning, the sky decided to open. It rained and rained and rained. I rolled out of bed around 10:30. Sounds so bad, but it felt so good. I finally got myself together-- which took awhile since I discovered 7th Heaven and Touched By An Angel on television during the day time-- I went to a luncheon downtown hosted by an organization compromised of African American female attorneys. The luncheon had a panel of black female judges who gave us practice tips and advice on how to become a judge in our county & how to excel in the profession as a double minority (female & African American). It was very inspiring to say the least. 
That night I went to a Fall festival with my god daughter and devoured a gigantic turkey leg. 

Friday morning, I went to a seminar on alternative legal careers. It too was very inspiring and it gave me some insight on other things I can do with my degree. After that, I pretty much napped and watched television until the evening. Once night came, I went to a comedy show at a club where my friend performed in celebration of her birthday. She's a comedian and had various opening acts before she closed the show and the afterparty began. I ducked out to walk across the street to The Chocolate Bar so I could get Rocky Road icecream and other chocolate treats I didn't need. 

I was lazy again and didn't roll out of the bed till 11 on Saturday. I noticed that a friend had posted something sad on Facebook so I reached out to her to see if she wanted to hang out to get her mind off of things. Fortunately she agreed, and we embarked on a fun adventure in the mall...

First off, we scavenged the mall in search of shoes for me to wear this weekend for my birthday. I wanted some black pumps, but settled for a pair that shall be revealed at a later date, namely this weekend. 

While we were hanging in the food court, a guy passed by handing out hats for the grand opening of Build A Bear in the mall. Did we want silly bear hats? Hell yeah! So we walked around and got judged by mall patrons, until it was finally decided that I needed a bear for my birthday. 

And then this happened.....






On November 2, 2013, she was born. Everyone who truly knows me, knows that she represents me so well. Aside from the heels and business clothes, which I almost always have to wear everyday due to my occupation, my favorite favorite favorite thing to wear: wife beater or other comfy t-shirt, my glasses, pajama bottoms (if it's cold) and a soft fluffy robe aka a duster. My friends tease me oh so recently for actually owning a house coat/robe. Apparently people my age don't enjoy the finer things in life or at least my friends don't..but I digress. 

I've never owned a Build-A-Bear but I totally loved the process. From picking her out, stuffing & fluffing her to choosing the perfect outfit. It was a great experience that I don't think only little kids should enjoy. Whenever I have a daughter we will definitely do this, and I do plan on saving my bear for her. It was entirely too much fun!!!!!

I was beat after the bear experience and was in bed extra early..... Good sleep, I did indeed have....

6 comments:

  1. I think you should know that I have the biggest smile on my face right now. Reading this post just made me feel that everything is going to be just fine for the both of us. I can feel it.

    Glad you were able to enjoy your days off. You deserve it so much!

    And now I want to build a bear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl I highly believe that you need a bear. When I tell you it was an experience, it was indeed!!!! Thanks so much!

      Delete
  2. Awww she is too cute! I love stuffed teddy bears which is why I don't understand why I haven't stormed Build-A-Bear for my own unique bear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think sometimes we feel guilty for being "lazy" when we really shouldn't. I do it all the time. We really need those days to sleep in and those days to take naps. Glad you got that time. It's funny because I think I'd want to build a bear more for the process and fun of doing it then for the actual bear itself. If that makes any sense! Yours is super cute. And shopping with a girlfriend is always so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The process was really fun. They have an entire dedication ceremony for the bears that made my girlfriend and I all sentimental lol meanwhile my bear has not been taken back out the box but it was a fun experience so I know exactly what you mean!

      Delete