A few weeks ago, I got an email from Search Homeless Services listing out various ways to either donate or volunteer with their organization this holiday season. Search is a nonprofit organization in Houston, Texas that provides resources to homeless individuals in the city. I became familiar with this organization when I met a friend back in 2009 who had devoted his time to raising awareness for homelessness. He walked from Houston,Texas to Los Angeles, California! Literally walked. On his own two feet. Walked. I was so moved by what he did that I started researching statistics and lending a hand with various organizations dedicated to providing services to homeless individuals.
Well after reading through that email I sent out a mass email to a lot of my friends to see if they would be interested in doing a project with me to give back this holiday season. A lot of people responded positively and we dediced to STUFF!
We bought holiday stockings and stuffed them with scarves, socks, gloves, and various other toiletries and travel sized items and delivered them to Search to be passed out by mobile outreach volunteers and to individuals enrolled in their programs.
It seems minimal, but it was our hope that just that little bit of thought would warm someone's day and make them feel remembered this season.
My sister liked the idea so much that she got her coworkers together to STUFF as well.
I really encourage everyone to take a moment to think about those less fortunate this holiday season. If you have free time to volunteer or even a few extra dollars to spare to any charity or church or organization. It's the little things that can mean so much more to someone who is less fortunate. Giving not only feels good, it is good and I'm glad we got together to do this project.






This is so awesome! We do something similar like this at our old church!
ReplyDeleteAnd I hope that Santa brings you a real camera! :)
thanks :)
DeleteThis is soooo awesome! I need to step up my volunteer work. I donate, but I think the real joy comes in actually giving of my time and having face to face interactions. Great job!
ReplyDeletethanks!!
Delete