Monday, December 5, 2016

To Be Honest...

To be honest, so much went down in November, that I almost don't even know where to begin with this post. I could take the easy route, upload a crap load of pictures, call it a November re-cap and just pretend like I'm on track for December, but that wouldn't be fun. Blogging has been hard lately. Yes, I have been busy, and life as always has had its share of hectic moments, but definitely still not excusable. I had the bright idea to delete the Blogger App off my phone. It was slow, not really allowing me to upload anything and pretty much just getting on my nerves. I probably should have checked to make sure there was another application for me to download that would make blogging on the go easier, but alas I have not found that app. And now, I'm rambling.

Anyways....

Houston Walk to End Alzheimer's 2016-

The #WalkToEndALZ has become somewhat of a birthday kick-off tradition for me. For the last three years, I've served as a team captain and raised money to support the efforts of the Houston Chapter of the Alzheimer's Association. The cause is very near and dear to my heart, and it definitely brings me joy to do what I can until there is no need.


Our walk team was smaller than it was the last few years, but we managed to exceed our fundraising goal for the 3rd year in a row. I've decided that even if I have to make that walk alone, and raise all the money I can by myself, I will regardless of who joins in on my efforts. It's just that important to me.

"Standing alone, doesn't mean that I am alone. It means I am strong enough to handle things all by myself."

~2016 Jewels of Essence- Ladies of Distinction Awards Gala~

Contrary to popular belief, I am a very humble person. I actually hate attention, and typically move in silence in regards to my accomplishments, career and other aspects of my personal life. When I was nominated to receive recognition for my achievements, both in the community and profession, my first thought was that I was no where near deserving. I am my own biggest critic, so in my head I really began to question what exactly could I have done for recognition?


Aside from the sheer embarrassment of being center stage while receiving this honor, I had to inform other people I would be awarded and get them to come fill up the table that was reserved on my behalf.

Let's just say it was a process...


First and foremost, everybody is not going to be down for the cause, especially when it's not a reason that directly benefits them.
Most were receptive, offered congratulations and immediately sent payments for tickets. Simple & genuine...

Others, not so much.

I was pretty let down by some of the reactions I received, from people making wise cracks, to just asking what type of food would be served, to just flat out ignoring my request. I guess I expected more, when I typically am a person who is always down for the cause when it really matters. But this go round, it was definitely a moment when the right people were exactly where they were supposed to be.

The event turned out well and I am beyond grateful for the push in the right direction, even though I give myself too much grief in lieu of acknowledging just how far I truly have come. Maybe I already am in the right direction, and this wasn't necessarily a push, but more so a quick glance down at my map just to make certain I was still on the right path.


My first few days in November started off with a bang. From participating in an event that I am passionate about, to being awarded for my achievements, the prelude to my birthday week gave me everything I needed to walk into 35 with my head held high.

November- realization, affirmation, gratitude.

7 comments:

  1. Congrats on that huge accomplishment! They don't just give those things out to anyone (as I'm still waiting for mine LOL), so be proud of yourself and know that you are worthy and amazing. I can't believe that there are people in your life who wouldn't support that. I hate to say it, cause I know it's tossed around a lot as the reason for every negative thing in life, but I suspect there was probably some jealousy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, and to be honest I hate that I have those kind of people as well, but I'm also glad that I'm starting to see them more for what they are than I used to before.

      Delete
  2. "Standing alone, doesn't mean that I am alone. It means I am strong enough to handle things all by myself."

    That quote is so, so true!

    And I'm so proud of you. You know if I lived nearby I'd be sitting at that table cheering you on. That is HUGE! I think that no matter what, there are always going to be people who don't like to see when others are doing well. When things are tough they are the first because it makes them feel good that someone is suffering (I know, awful to say) but when life is good they are the ones far away not celebrating with you. It's sad but it's welcomed because it thins out those you surround yourself with. Makes it much easier to cut people out when you know who they really are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You speak the truth! Oh how I wish you lived closer. And yes, I do believe there are a lot of people who seem more happy when you have drama or things aren't that great and then disappear when the tide changes. It's unfortunate but very necessary for discernment!!!!!

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you had the support for those who absolutely love you there for you on that special night. This year has definitely retaught the lesson about real friends and true friendships. Everyone is definitely not for you, even if you are always in their corner. I can definitely attest to that. But I thank God for coming through in the clutch with that reveal.

    Congratulations again Honey!

    ReplyDelete