I woke up this morning anticipating a productive day at work. I was stopped in my tracks by the news saying the majority of the major freeways in the city were either shut down or experiencing extremely dangerous road conditions, due to freezing temperatures and rain creating ice everywhere. Surprisingly I was sort of disappointed. I had a lot of things to get accomplished but fortunately my assistant was able to scan & email some things I needed, so all was not lost for the day. It appears everyone who lives close to the office made it in, but with my thirty minute drive on a regular day, I did not want to take any risks. Especially since I've never driven on ice. Ever. And apparently neither has the majority of Houston, because there were hundreds of wrecks today.
I'm thankful for my lazy Friday.
This week is a blur. I can't remember what I did Monday or Tuesday. I had court both days, but I have no recollection of any of the space fillers between now and then really.
One thing I can remember is my Wednesday night...the day not so much, but definitely my night. I heard about an organization called Writers in the Schools from a friend, and she invited me to attend a quarterly event they have called Night Writers. Night Writers is pretty much a happy hour with wine & light bites, where writing enthusiast get the chance to write with other like minded individuals. There was a spoken word poetry performance by a highly talented pre-teen, then a local performer lead everyone through a writing exercise utilizing hyperbole. Between the wine and the brainstorming of table mates everyone was able to come up with their own verse and presented it to the audience. The event was so much fun and it felt great to be inspired and use the creative side of my brain for once.
After the event ended, a few of us sat down for dinner and libations at the host restaurant and enjoyed lively discussions well past my bedtime. It was a great time and it definitely ignited a spark in me that needed to be lit. I'm passionate about what the organization stands for and I definitely look forward to participating in more of their initiatives and activities.
And then it was Thursday, and I was up at the crack of dawn for court and back to my regularly scheduled programming. Only with moreso of a glimmer of hope that I can be more inspired towards creativity than I have been as of late. It's funny how you can find inspiration in the simple things. Like a conversation with a stranger, a provocative scent you catch a whiff of in a crowded elevator, or even just an unsolicited compliment that validates some insecurity underlying in your day. Some days have more purpose in them than meets the eye.
Tonight my girlfriend was supposed to be celebrating her birthday, but cancelled her party due to the crazy ice and freezing temperatures. The remainder of my weekend will consist of a bridal shower for a friend getting married next month, and a birthday brunch for the friend who had to cancel part one of her celebrating tonight due to the weather.
There are only a few days left in January. So hard to believe! One month down into the new year. I can honestly say that my month has been enjoyable. I've rolled with the punches, stayed positive and made progress in my journey to have a happier approach to life. I foresee the upcoming weeks to be equally as enjoyable, and hopefully filled with some new adventures and opportunities to grow. It's so much easier to try to see the good in everything. Looking for the negatives is exhausting.
The weekend is finally here, and now I can exhale....

i love the idea of writers and happy hour...what a creative idea!! enjoy your weekend...i can't wait to see how you spend..i am living vicariously through you lady!!
ReplyDeleteThanks hun! I live vicariously through u and baby pancakes too! Enjoy your weekend as well ;)
Delete