Wednesday, June 26, 2013

violated......

I hit the snooze button feverishly this morning, despite the fact that I had court at 8:30 am & an hour drive ahead of me. It's as if my body could sense something was wrong... Little did I know trouble was arising and my ordinary Wednesday would be interrupted with foolishness.

Court went smoothly enough and I had just made it back to my office, when I received a text message that sent chills through my body... "I think your email has been hacked." I froze and looked at my inbox, where I was beginning to receive all kinds of emails from the mailer Dameon & even more texts coming in from friends. I tried to access my account information from my iPhone but I couldn't access the password settings...I texted one of my friends that I needed help. She was in her office, and went into my account to change my password for me as I began the task of seeing what exactly had been sent out to my contacts with my name on the "from" line....

Some spineless mother^%&$ker hacked my account, and was mailing out some spam virus-filled link to not only my friends, but several colleagues and contacts in my account. The hacker was even courteous enough to send the bull^$t to both of my exes...both of whom were so super smart enough to respond back thinking I had actually emailed them... *insert scream accompanied by explicit language....

Not only was it embarrassing, but as an attorney a mishap like that could be deadly. Luckily my hacker did not have time to send that link to my boss or any court staff or other important persons & I hope none of my friends actually clicked on the link thinking it was something I sent out. I have no idea how my account got hacked... I hadn't been online or clicked any links nor had I been on any public computers. I sent an email like normal and even got a response back from the email, but I literally did nothing else that I thought would have put me at risk.

In all honestly, I know I probably am being overly dramatic but I don't even want to use that account anymore. I feel like my email address is diseased or has been violated by some filthy motherfucker stranger and isn't safe for me to use anymore. I changed my password, but I still feel paranoid.

Definitely not how I wanted to spend my Wednesday...

***cue crying hot shower scene circa any good Lifetime movie

4 comments:

  1. That's the worst! I hate when my friend's emails are hijacked and the creeps sends me emails. I would feel violated too. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ugh, it was so annoying. I changed my password and all but still creeped out....

      Delete
  2. I've had the problem many times when I used to use Yahoo. Just recently, my ex sent a similar email and we got into an argument about it because I don't want him contacting me period. In hindsight, I realized he had no control over it, but still..

    I've never had the problem with my Gmail account, which is why I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. someone else told me they felt more secure with their google acct. I want to switch but I have soooo much stuff associated with my yahoo :-(

      Delete