Sunday, October 13, 2013

Going Home...

I woke up to the sound of thunder and rain. The perfect way to start a Sunday morning in my opinion. 


We had a death in the family, so Saturday morning I was up before the sun so we could head to Louisiana, which is where both of my parents are from & where the majority of my family still lives. 

I hate the reason for the visit, but it was good seeing my grandmother and being in our home town. I don't think I would've made it growing up as a country girl and I told my mama that I was proud of her for moving to Texas when she was just a few years younger than I am now and starting a new life for herself in Houston. 

It's like traveling back in time. The mentality, the fashion, even the flow of traffic is just so much slower than what I'm used to but I love that it seems like life is so much more carefree than it is here. 

It's easy to get caught up in all the hustle and bustle of life, but it's also important to get lost in the little things. Loving your family, appreciating the struggles they had to get through so that you can be where you are today, and remembering to love and respect your elders. I don't want anyone in my family to ever feel like they were forgotten or that they were a burden because of their age. 

Every family member is like a link to a bigger puzzle that completes who you are. Whether the puzzle pieces are jagged, or frayed or country...it doesn't matter and all the pieces need to feel appreciated. 

Life is too precious, and our time here is too limited to not make it matter. In my lifetime I feel like I've experienced so much, I can only imagine the things our parents and grandparents have experienced in their fifty to sixty to even ninety plus years of life. So much living, so many lessons and so many experiences. Take the time to call them just because, or make a surprise visit, or even teach them how to take a selfie. It's the little things that are more impressionable than the elaborate gift at Christmas. 

I know I need to do better at this. 

Gratitude. 

I'm grateful for my family and the opportunities to be together. 

10 comments:

  1. This was absolutely beautiful and so very true! Thank you for sharing that!

    I'm sorry for your family's loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks chica! PS I hope you've been enjoying your birthday! :)

      Delete
  2. i'm sorry about your loss - family is so important <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post! I'm definitely sorry for the loss of your loved one, but you've put it into a greater perspective. My family is super close but we still get caught up in the.daily drama of our lives and forget to reach out to each other. I've got to do better at consistently letting my family know how much I appreciate and LOVE them. I'll be praying for you and your family woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hun! It does get hard but I guess we just have to work to find the time to spend time together and ignore the drama. Have a good day!

      Delete
  4. Sorry for the loss in your family but glad that you got to reconnect with family that you might not have otherwise seen. Sometimes I feel like small town life might be less stressful too...and just a nice simpler way to live.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry for your loss. This is a great post and reminder. I love how you described how every family member is like a puzzle to your life and how you come out. I live in the suburbs of the city, but when we visit small town its hard not to wonder how it would be just living a slower life. However, I don't think I could do it either ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry for your loss. You are so right when you say that each family member is a part of you. That is so real.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, So sorry for your loss. I know how difficult it can be to lose someone but the way that you've conveyed your thoughts was just beautiful. I'm trying to be more accepting of those jagged and frayed pieces, but that can be hard sometimes. I'll get better at it.

    ReplyDelete