Monday, May 12, 2014

About Confidence.......

People always asked me why I never smiled on pictures. Was it intentional? Was there something I was hiding? Looking back at old photographs, I realized there was a time in my life where I was always smiling, with no shame or thought behind it whatsoever...and then I stopped.


It appears as if the smiles disappeared sometime around the 7th or 8th grade. I tried to think back and rack my brain to determine if there was some event that caused my smile to disappear.... But aside from my own insecurities I could not recall a time when someone or something occurred that made me doubt myself and lose confidence.


I smiled my way right up until high school, and then I spent the next 4 years of life with a smirk permanently affixed to my face. Although I had it all going for me, I just didn't feel like I was pretty enough or even good enough to draw any attention to my so-called flaws...so I continued to mask all emotions and have a permanent emoticon face in all of my pictures....

I was self-conscious about my body (or lack thereof), my teeth, and my hair.... I was the only person I knew who did not have a relaxer up until I finally broke down and got one in college after the humidity did a number on my pressed hair during the brutal Baton Rouge summer time weather....


I lost myself so much during that time... I tried to change my appearance, I tried to make my hair like everyone else, I cut layer after layer trying to make myself look more mainstream... I did it all to fit in and make myself feel like a part of the crowd. It didn't work. When you lack confidence, you attract the wrong crowd. You do things to make yourself feel valued, but in the end those things strip you down further.... It was a rough...

This pattern of negative thinking and self-doubt followed me all the way through law school...and partially after...

It was a struggle that I faced for many years, until one day I woke up and realized that nothing was wrong with me...not my face, not my smile, not my hair... I was perfectly fine exactly the way I was.

It all started two years ago. My ex and I had just broken up & I decided to make a change. I told my beautician that I wanted to do something different with my hair and that I did not want to get anymore relaxers... Now I can't completely attribute going natural to that great of a shift in my thinking but it definitely played a big part in it....

After that, things just went upward for me... I prayed more, I had more faith, I cared more about the way I carried myself & one day a friend of mine noticed the difference. She told me that for the first time ever during the course of our friendship she could look and me & feel the happiness. I didn't understand it at the time, and surprisingly enough another friend of mine made a similar comment about happiness showing from within... All this time I had been thinking that by masking my emotions no one could tell how I felt inside, when all that time my mask wasn't hiding anything. Everyone could see the pain, the doubt, the insecurities... they could read right though the smirk and did the predators try to come and feed off those negatives vibes I was giving off... because once I changed, everyone who had been around when I was down disappeared because they could not stand to be around me while things were on the up & up...


Now, don't get me wrong... I still have my days where I feel blah, or not all great but I do my best to push those thoughts out of my head and plaster a smile on my face.... People wonder why I take so many selfies....Not because I'm obsessed with the pictures or that I'm trying to make up for anything lacking... It really just feels good to be able to see myself smiling in a picture or look at a photo of myself and not see the pain behind my eyes & find every reason to insult myself by the way I look.


I still slip a signature smirk in every now and then, but for the most part I no longer feel ashamed to show my smile in a picture... Sometimes I have to remind myself. Smile Fallon. You have so many reasons too. Change is hard. I had to train myself to be happy, and grateful because I spent so many years feeling the exact opposite. I have no reason not to be confident. I regret it took this many years for me to realize it, but there is no use in regrets when I have so many opportunities to make it right.


Confidence is a tricky thing. I think we are all born with it until we or the world convinces us that we are not. I don't know what triggered mine to disappear, but I try not to dwell on the past. Being happy and realizing the course of your life is determined a lot of times by your attitude & outlook on life makes a world of difference. Things didn't start looking up in my life, until I started looking up... And so I will continue to smile.

16 comments:

  1. Yes! This is such an encouraging and inspiring piece.

    Confidence and smiling are so vital in our lives. However, I admit that's something that I just started realizing a few years ago.

    Continue to trust in God and He will provide you with all you need to remain confident and keep a smile on your face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You're a beautiful young lady. :) Never let anyone make you feel any different. <3

    http://blog.welovecharm.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously, this is my most favorite post of yours to date! Goosebumps everywhere! Thank you for sharing this piece of yourself!

    "Things didn't start looking up in my life, until I started looking up... " always, always, always!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have some very similar old school pics. Little girl (I had BIG glasses) with pigtails coming every which way. Glad you are finding your confidence. It doesn't necessarily fall into your lap. Sometimes you just kind of have to get there in your own time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also have an issue about confidence and not smiling in my pictures. I am slowly getting over this since people tend think I am upset when I don't.

    Great post :)

    AJ | TheAJMinute

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is such an honest post that many can relate to. and FYI, you are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm new to your blog, and I'm so glad that this was the first post I landed on. You sound like a strong and confident woman now, hold your head up, you are beautiful inside and out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what an amazing post Fallon. You are so beautiful inside and out. I am glad that you are above the past. Sometimes we go through things so we can truly understand and appreciate their beauty and importance in the end. Love this! Keep on smiling!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such an amazing and raw post. I absolutely loved it and could relate to it. I went through the period in undergrad as well. It was definitely rough and because I had somehow lost my confidence that I once had, I definitely attracted some horrible people to me.

    I'm just thankful that I had the support system that I had. Thankful that they prayed me back to myself. And I'm thankful to God for my restoration.

    ReplyDelete