Thursday, May 1, 2014

May 1st.

There was once a time in my life when I was faithless. I didn't see the light at the end of the tunnel. I was filled with doubt. I lacked confidence. Despite all my academic achievements, I still yearned for more. The problem was, I didn't think I was worthy of more.

Growing up, my life was not simple. I dealt with a lot of external factors that caused my childhood to be less than ordinary. I focused all my energy into my school work, reading, and trying to better myself. Granted, I had support from my parents to strive to be the best, but I don't think they factored in all the possibilities of just what I could actually accomplish.

I don't think I had any idea of what I could accomplish. But I continued on.

I had no clue what I was capable of as a college student. I considered many career paths, but it was not until after I made a decision that would change the course of my life that brought me to where I am today. My parents thought it was a bad idea to take a semester off to work, but had I not I don't think I would be celebrating today the way I am. Instead of continuing my coursework for the semester, I began a full-time internship at the Louisiana State Capitol, where I worked with the Louisiana Legislative Black Caucus. That semester I had the pleasure of working with a young attorney who was just celebrating her 30th birthday. Our conversations inspired me. I wanted to be just like her, and at that moment I decided to become an attorney....

Rewind to the year 2008.... I made it through law school, but at the time I still lacked. I doubted. I considered my success a fluke. I didn't have faith in myself, I pretty much lacked faith all together. I knew I had to pass the bar examination before I would be able to practice law, and I told myself going in that I was going to fail. And, I did.

At the time, I looked at that failure as a punishment. I tried and I was unsuccessful. I gave up. Everything around me was falling apart. My relationship at the time was a nightmare, I couldn't work as an attorney without a license, so I was jobless. I was embarrassed that everyone publicly witnessed my dreams falling apart and I gave up. When I learned I had not passed the bar exam, I retreated. I disappeared from all social media, stopped answering phone calls, and I cried.

It was in those silent moments that The Lord spoke to me the most. I didn't want to try again, but I did. Those weeks I tried harder than I ever have before in life. I readjusted my mindset. I prayed. I scrawled my favorite scripture across my mirror, and I silenced all the doubt out my mind.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct your path." Proverbs 3:5-6

It wasn't until I completely put my trust in the Lord, that I genuinely began to believe that I was worthy of His blessings.

I put my all into the February 2009 bar exam, and on the afternoon of April 30, 2009 I received the news that I had passed. I paid my dues as soon as I woke up, and by the morning of May 1, 2009 I was listed on the State Bar of Texas website as a licensed attorney.

May 1, 2014. Five years later, and although I still have my moments where I question my path, I have truly witnessed the goodness of God so I know that no matter how grim the future looks He will always make a way.

My life is nothing like I thought it would be, but it's everything that the Lord intended for it to be. I have been able to learn, and grow as an attorney. I've been able to help a lot of people, I've met people from all walks of life and I have tried my best to be the best that I could possibly be. My experiences have taken me down many unexpected roads, yet each step has brought me closer and closer to where I am supposed to be. I just made my month anniversary at my new firm where I am in a role that I didn't even realize was available to me, but I'm here. Looking back, I never imagined that I would have achieved so much or lived the life I have been living. I attribute it all to God. If it were not for my faith in Him, I would have given up. But..... it's five years later, and I'm still making it on May 1st.

I am beyond thankful.





6 comments:

  1. This post gave me goose bumps. It's testimonies like these that often make me wonder how could we ever doubt Him? Thanks for sharing! Praying that even more blessings, blessings your mind can't even imagine, go your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a relatable testimony. I've been there and still go through the motions of doubt and uncertain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so easy to get caught up with doubt. We just have to keep reminding ourselves that he always makes a way.

      Delete
  3. Wow what an inspiring testimony!! I loved reading every bit of it.
    And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28

    This scripture reminds me of your testimony!
    Praying for many blessing to come your way.

    ReplyDelete