Everyone is entitled to their own views and opinions. We can thank our Constitution for that. But, over the course of the last few days I have read some things on the internet & heard people say some things on the news that literally left me sick to my stomach. If people seriously believe we live in a country where race is NOT an issue, please go on to any news station or newspapers website and read the hate filled comments. People saying the most horrendous things in regards to race relations. I have lost so much respect for people that it is unnerving. Yes, we have made progress in America, but in actuality the only thing that has changed is the level of visibility of racism. People can't make you sit in the back of the bus, or drink from certain water fountains... but they can silently hate you simply because of the color of your skin and ONLY speak on it when prompted by events in current affairs or if something sparks their hatred to seep to the outside.
As an attorney, I keep having to tell my friends about the concept of double jeopardy & how the President has nothing to do with a decision jurors make in a trial and that it's our civic responsibility to actually show up at jury duty so that defendants can truly be tried by a jury of their peers. We need to take part in elections and vote for individuals who will get into positions of power and try to positively change legislation. Protesting is not going to solve the problem at the polls when it comes to new laws being enacted or our congressman voting once they get to our state/US capitols.... It has to be reason to the methodology of how we can change things.
I am truly grieving for the families that are directly affected by the tragic lost, but I hope we as a people can use this for a catalyst to change, not only ourselves but as a community & as a people. The death of Trayvon Martin reminds me so much of the tragedy of Emmett Till. Let us not forget that despite the controversy, we still need to be united as a people and work to change things in our country. Racism and inequality, underneath the surface, is still a problem in America....
Yesterday, I had court in a county where I am always treated slightly "different" than the "other" attorneys. I get asked am I a defendant, am I a paralegal, and to physically recite my bar number as if I am only pretending to be an attorney or not really qualified. At first I thought it was just me, but then I talked with a few other minority attorneys and they shared similar stories with me... The consensus was, that particular county is not too progressive. As I was sitting on a bench outside the courtroom, an attorney walked in and looked around the room with his client and said out loud, "I don't see any other attorneys out here," as he took his client off to the side to discuss. Well, clearly I was dressed to the nines in my suit with my briefcase and actually was waiting for my opposing counsel to come inside so I could actually discuss the case with him, since I WAS THE ATTORNEY WHO FILED THE MOTION SETTING THE HEARING!!!! I guess in his eyes, I did not look the part to actually be the attorney for the Plaintiff, which I am. I approached him and his demeanor was downright terrible and nasty. I asked another attorney if he had the same experience with the guy, and he was like "no.....he doesn't play well with others." WHAT?! Well my suspicions were confirmed that regardless of my outfit, my degree, and my skill as an attorney, this man was NOT going to respect me. Sad, but reality. Fortunately I stood my ground and was able to combat his disrespect during our oral arguments, so all hope was not lost...but it is so sad that even in 2013, there are attorneys out there who think just because I am a young, black, woman, that I am not worthy of their respect in the courtroom.....
I didn't let him damper my spirits, and I felt good walking out of the courtroom knowing that I proved myself, not only to him but to MYSELF. You don't have to sink to that level, and success is the best form of revenge......
I really wish things were not the way they are in the world right now. The tension, the fear, the stress.... it's just all too much to deal with. But regardless, I do still feel that I need to figure out a way to play my part in attempting to make things better.
Any suggestions?


I am saddened that you have to deal with that at work. You work hard for that title of an attorney. And you sure as hell did a lot of schooling for it too. For anyone to look down on you due to the fact that you’re a woman and black just makes me sad.
ReplyDeleteI think the only thing you can do is prove to them that they are wrong. Yes, I know. Why do you have to prove anything? The thing is that you do. Being black and a woman often means that you have to prove a lot more than others. Continue to work hard, do more than others, and always be a few steps ahead. It takes hard work to be respected but it isn’t impossible.
Reading this, I am so impressed with the way you stated your thoughts so eloquently. I am having a hard time doing that with my post which is why it still hasn’t posted. I’m thinking of putting it up on Friday that way I don’t even give a hoot (you know, nothing matters on the weekend, lol) and will wait on Monday to read comments. I don’t want to make my non-black readers upset but I just feel that it is my duty to share with many that just don’t understand and can never understand.
I love how you pointed out that just because we are sharing fountains now and not sitting in the back of the bus doesn’t mean that race doesn’t matter anymore. It sure does, just not in plain view. And that is what I think is what has so many confused and not aware of the world they really live in.
Sorry for the long comment! And yeah, I dig you! Let’s be friends in real life, lol.
I think that is good advice and a great suggestion. We do have to work harder and although it is unfair, it is reality! It's sad and discouraging that I see so much injustice first hand working in the legal field. When I worked for a legal aid law firm I literally would have to close my office door and cry after hearing tales of social injustice. Ugh! I was soooo mad at that man, and it kept everything in me to stay composed but goodness gracious had we not been in court and he acted so ugly it would have been a completely different scenario lol. I know things have to get better at some point, I'm just struggling with the question of WHEN? you know. Its crazy! I hope your readers aren't offended by the truth and that you don't get anymore crazy comments like the dark girls psychos. Everyone has to realize that our struggle is not always theres, but that does not mean that our struggle does not exist just because they are not seeing it through our eyes! It's ok with the long comment, everything you wrote needed to be said. I dig you too!!!! and I'm looking forward to your post.
Delete. I am so tired of the bull, that is part of the reason that I left Corporate America because I needed to leave voluntarily or in handcuffs.
ReplyDeleteNot to be a Debbie downer but I'm just not sure if there will ever be full change. We won't be able to change the minds of others if we can't get our own people on one page. I'm not even going to get started. I did tell myself that I was going to stop watching VH1 and other shows that make a mockery of black people and spend more time volunteering with young girls. I think if we can reach a few the goal is accomplished.
I definitely feel you leaving in handcuffs.....sigh. It is definitely a struggle sometimes. I do agree with you also in wanting to volunteer and try to change things one step at a time. Because Stevie J and Joseline are not helping anyone, and more than likely setting us back even further.......
DeleteLouisiana is no different. And down here, we don't deny that racism doesn't exist because it's running rampant down here. Since the TM case, I've unfriended A LOT of people from high school who apparently, were experts at hiding their true colors. I've also unfriended a lot of people who I've grown up with due to their ignorance. This whole incident has really opened my eyes and has saddened me at the same time.
ReplyDeleteIt's unfortunate that you had to deal with such ignorance, but it's also unfortunate that it probably won't be your last time. But being the strong, educated woman that you are, you'll be able to stand your ground and have them picking up their jaws off the floor.
I can only imagine how some of the folks in Louisiana reacted. I KNOW a lot of the people down there probably had a lot to say. It is sad. Extremely sad.
Delete