Saturday, November 17, 2012

On Friendship....

Despite my not being the stereotypical social butterfly, I have always had a decent amount of friends. Throughout the years I have added few, subtracted many or just grew apart from certain people who occupied the majority of my life. But even through it all, there are a select group of people who no matter what I know will always be my friends.

The last few years, mainly between college and finishing up law school, the dynamics of a lot of my friendships started to change. One decided she didn't want to be my friend anymore for whatever reason and decided to focus more on her relationship and other friends who were already married. I was hurt and confused by this, but I moved on...
A couple of years later two of my closest girlfriends from college decided that I had "changed" because I didn't want to party all night and be settled down & such and stopped talking to me.... This separation didn't hurt as much since I definitely knew I had outgrown them and really couldn't engage in the same type of activities any longer so I was good. But now, I feel like another shift is on the brinks of taking place....

A relationship with one of my closest guy friends is on the verge of being non-existent and that one I really don't understand. He says everything is fine now, but it just isn't the same. Maybe this is a part of life, or maybe not.... I still haven't figured that it out.

When I sit back and really evaluate the people who are in my life that I know will always be there I do notice a common thread. We may not talk everyday, hang out with each other often like we used to or even share the same interests anymore... It's just the feeling I get that no matter what I can call them up and cry for no real reason and they won't judge (unless I ask them too) or that I can say something random and it will completely make sense to them. There are a lot of other traits, but lately those have been the main two that I have needed most.

Are all friendships meant to last a lifetime? Are there ways to prevent outgrowing a friendship, or is it like relationships where some are meant for a season or a reason?

I think as an adult we don't have time to cultivate friendships like we should in between relationships, work, family etc but I do think having a solid group is important. I also think that friendships shouldn't be measured by the amount of time we spend together, or what all I have given you or what all I can do for you. I just don't think it should be that way, and I appreciate the friends I have that see me for more than tangibles.....








3 comments:

  1. Great Post, I have been there girl. I don't know how I managed to recover from the friendships I've lost (I'm sure it had to be God), but I did. Now, I don't even consider not having those people in my life a bad thing, I consider it a blessing. Sometimes those people just aren't meant to be within your circle. God will always reveal things to you, he'll always show us the signs. It's just a matter of whether we pay attention to them. Guy friends can be tricky, especially when they step into a serious relationship, or they catch feelings for you (usually it's one or the other, the puts a strain on things). I really hope things are okay with you guys, nothing like losing a friend, and not knowing what went south.

    Its great that you have grown, it's awesome that you were able to reach a point in your life that you didn't have to hang out all night, that you are comfortable with being in your own space. In my opinion, thats symbolic of being comfortable with your current situation, you don't have to hang out all night, perusing the club scene, looking for Mr. Right or attention seeking. At some point, we grow comfortable with our true friends, and the becomes enough for us. As the saying goes, true friendship is a delicacy, if you leave this earth with one, consider yourself blessed.

    Enjoy your Saturday

    Blessings!

    Maya D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well said! on an unrelated note, everytime i try to comment on your blog i get an error message....

      Delete
  2. I think some friendships naturally dissolve and that's probably a good thing. Hopefully you and your buddy can make it work:-)

    ReplyDelete