Tuesday, January 22, 2013

And Justice for All.....

Yesterday, instead of having a day off for the MLK holiday, I was at work. In all honesty I was highly disappointed that I didn't get the opportunity to lay around all day watching tv & catching up on my sleep. Definitely the wrong attitude to have in light of the historical meaning of the day, but that was my mindset.

As I drove, a friend of mine sent me a text that said how happy she was to be at work because had it not been for MLK and other pioneers for freedom like him she wouldn't have that office in the high rise building downtown, or any of the opportunities God blessed her with. It was at that moment that I got a lesson in gratitude, because I definitely have been taking a lot of things for granted. I have moments where I complain about student loans, going to court daily and being an attorney all together. I have moments where I forget my purpose and reason behind the career path I've chosen. Sometimes I just take a lot for granted...

As I looked around my office and the degrees hanging on my wall, I felt a wave of emotion pass over me. How could I take all of this for granted? So many people had to sacrifice for me to have what I casually overlook everyday. Other people paved the way towards securing my seat in every classroom I have sat in & every building that I walk into....
How could I take any of this for granted?

Tonight, I had the pleasure of seeing Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayer as she made a stop in Houston promoting her new book. Everyone in attendance got a free copy of the book, and she answered questions as well as read excerpts from it. I am in awe of this woman. She was so real, so genuine and so honest as she spoke to the audience & shared words of wisdom. As the newest Supreme Court Justice & first Hispanic female on the court she has truly overcome her share of adversity. She wanted her message to remain with everyone there..... If she could do it anyone should be able to do it as well. Easier said than done, but definitely attainable.

Her presentation made me feel proud of what I am, but it also made me want to do more & achieve more. She truly wants justice for all....

With all of that being said, I realize that I still have work that needs to be done. It may not be easy but it's possible. And instead of complaining, I will be appreciative.





5 comments:

  1. Love this, it is so crazy how easily we get caught up in daily life and forget the important accomplishments that we have worked so hard to get. So exciting about the event with Mrs sotomayor! epic!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great reminder. It's so hard to forget but it's nice when it just hits you and you realize just how lucky and blessed you are :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so great because its easy to lose sight sometimes of what we have access too without any struggles!

    ReplyDelete