Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Books & Brunch....

Or Bellinis... Pretty much anything with books :)

So over the course of the last couple of years I was apart of two different book clubs, both of which saw their untimely demise. I've been an avid reader all my life, but never was a part of any reading groups or clubs. My friend and I, both defected from the failed book clubs and have been in the works to start our own club... We met a couple of weeks ago for brunch & discussed The Twelve Tribes of Hattie. After our initial get together we exchanged books with each other and met back up today to discuss. We went to happy hour at Brio Tuscan Grille, hence how the Bellini's came in the picture...well sangria for me, but Books & Bellini's flowed better... Now we are in the process of trying to figure out our next read, and how to incorporate others into the mix so we can actually have a club & pick books to discuss as a group....

My friends & I have been trying to narrow down our lists of our top five and top ten favorite reads... I didn't realize how hard of a task that was until I actually sat down and thought about how many books I have read in my lifetime... Literally has to be in the thousands...no exaggeration...

But I was able to narrow my list down to the following (four of which I have mentioned before):

1)The Shack- William Paul Young
2)The Coldest Winter Ever- Sister Soulja
3)The Lovely Bones- Alice Sebold
4)Gone Girl- Gillian Flynn
5)The Story of Beautiful Girl- Rachel Simon
6)Olive Kitteridge- Elizabeth Strout
7)One Thousand Gifts- Ann Voskamp
8)The Lincoln Lawyer- Michael Connelly
9)Flowers in the Attic- VC Andrews
10)The Confession- John Grisham

When I look at that list I feel like I have left so many authors and books out.... I've read so many books, that I sometimes forget they even existed until I see the cover or start reading the first few pages... Hopefully we can get the book club up and running & I can compile a list of books I have read and those that I want to read in the near future...

One of my goals is to have a library of books in my home with hardbound copies of my favorites and of classic books & fairy tales... I know this is probably the nerdy-est thing I have ever written, but books genuinely make me happy :)

To be continued......

10 comments:

  1. Trust me, I know exactly how you feel. Most of my closest friends think that I'm weird because of my undying love for books, which pretty much doesn't allow me to have lovely conversations about books that I have changed my life. I haven't found any book clubs out here that read any other books besides those awful urban erotica books either. So, I've turned to book clubs online and Facebook until I can find one that's suitable for me.

    I have some of the books in your list, along with about 70+ others as I decided to create a little mini library in the corner of my room. LOL!

    I also have The Twelve Tribes of Hattie. How was it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed Hattie but one of my friends said it was too depressing for her. What books do you have in your top list?

      Delete
    2. I recently finished Dinner with a Stranger and 90 minutes in Heaven. I also finished a collection of short stories by Alice Walker, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I wanted to. I want to be able to finish Hattie, Me Talk Pretty One Day, Jazz Funeral, Kindred, Water for Elephants, Neecey's Lullaby, The Healing, Gone Girl, Motherless Daughters, I've Been In Sorrow's Kitchen and Licked All the Pots, The Dante Club, Little Bee, The Happiness Project, Blue Like Jazz.. and I'm just going to stop right here before I list every book on my shelf. LOL!

      Delete
    3. Im going to have to check some of those out. Little Bee has been on my floor for months now. I'm going to look into some of the others. My friend literally downloaded 600 books to my nook this weekend so I will be busy reading FOR A LONG TIME! :) I am so excited!

      Delete
  2. Oh how awesome! Reading is my favorite hobby....more so than shopping, lol. This list is an excellent start. I've read #s 1,2, and 10. Now I'm going to go research the others!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any suggestions on your favs I should try out?

      Delete
  3. Drinks and reading... girl I dig your style! I love reading too... it's like TV for your imagination. It's a great escape

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was younger I loved reading so much. I would finish a book in a day and when I got punished I couldn't go to the library or my books were taken away. It was the worst punishment.

    I wish I knew where that love went. I think in college when I was forced to read textbooks I just lost the love for reading. I want to get it back.

    I'm thinking a book club where I can indulge in sangrias would be a great motivator ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stopped reading for pleasure during and right after law school. Fortunately my ex got me a nook for Christmas one year and rekindled my love for books again :)

      Delete