Thursday, May 2, 2013

May......

In the midst of my woe is me moments last week, I failed to realize that it was time to change my calendar over to May. How is it already May? A cold front came in today, and I am currently wrapped in a blanket. May? A cold front? In Texas? Something is not right. Makes me fearful of what hurricane season will be like. But I digress....

This year is going by so fast. I swear life did not move this swiftly when I was younger. Now I feel like I am running out of time to do all the things I dreamed of doing. But again, I probably should go ahead and digress........ It is almost summer, and I am focused on getting in shape and enjoying life to the fullest. I go to Miami in exactly one month and five days (yet another 30th birthday party) and I am so excited! I don't have anything planned for this month really, other than saving money, eating healthier and working out.

I did start the month out on a good note though... I took off today and tomorrow for "mental health" days. Time to regroup and refocus. Work has been hectic. I needed to relax.

This morning, I woke up and went to my old intermediate school (not quite elementary and not quite middle school, just 5th and 6th graders) for career day. I went to this school the first year it opened.. Literally TWENTY YEARS AGO... Literally. It was bittersweet. I remember being so nervous riding the bus here on that first day of fifth grade. I was so tiny & nerdy. Powerless. Voiceless. Everything seemed so big and overwhelming, but I made it.

Sometimes I lose sight of what I am doing and what I am here for, but speaking to those kids who sat in the same seat I sat in twenty years ago really meant something to me. I had to choke back tears during parts of my speech because I kept getting overwhelmed with emotions. I don't know if they understood the significance of it, but goodness gracious.....

God definitely has a way of reminding you of your purpose. I want to help people. In whatever way I can. If even only one child was inspired by anything I said today, then I will feel like my visit was worthwhile. I never would have imagined walking those halls again, and actually feeling like I was somebody.





I used to be so scared to use these restrooms. The stalls look so small now, but oh so intimidating back then.




4 comments:

  1. Wow! What a moving post!

    I remember I was scared to use the stalls too. I visited my elementary school a few years ago and I could not wrap my mind around the fact that the chairs and desk were so small. Everything seemed so much bigger.

    I hope this month brings many great things for you. And Miami! I'm so jealous. I love it there!

    I'm with you on getting in shape and eating better. We can do it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i would love to go back to my old schools and visit...that would be an awesome experience!! you should join #Milfproject to help give you the extra motivation!!! i know i need it daily!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ive been keeping up with yall and it looks like it is definitely helping keep everyone motivated and accountable! :)

      Delete